Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom

Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
Talk & Zoom

Monday, May 14, 2012

Franca Sozzani on "Rebranding Africa" via fashion

Photo: L'Uomo Vogue
The New York Times article's cover image features my friend and model director Dorothy Oliech

""They are not my own words... but I do believe in the 'rebranding' of Africa," said Franca Sozzani, editor in chief of Vogue Italia, which has devoted this month's men wear issue to the continent...

...Ms Sozzani's personal commitment helps to dispel any idea that rebranding Africa is a gimmick or that it might sit uncomfortably beside the deep-set issues of poverty, disease and gender."
                                                                           
                                         - "Rebranding Africa", The New York Times


To my personal regret, I missed visiting with Franca Sozzani when she was here (Nairobi) in April. I received the invite, and was in the process of picking the perfect outfit when the meet-&-greet cocktail was cancelled due to scheduling conflicts. If I were to heed Franca's call and/or scrape the barrel for a lesson, it would be that it's really not all about the clothes, but the way the creativity of the clothes can help us help ourselves.

Franca Sozzani, Photo courtesy of milansegal.blogspot

Read the entire article in The New York Times Fashion & Style

No comments: